Pinktober is B101.5 Breast Cancer Awareness Month,
powered by Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center.
Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center reminds you to schedule your mammogram during Mammos and Massages by calling 540-848-4510 or click here to schedule your appointment today!
Join the experts at Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center for Pink Mondays on October 1, 8 or 15 to learn more about breast cancer. This event is free and includes a light meal. Registration is required. Call 888-685-1610.
* October 1 - New techniques in plastic surgery, dense breast tissue and factors associated with recurrences.
* October 8 - Nurtrition, diet, weight loss, exercise and rehab.
* October 15 - A cancer survivor will share her experiences, including the impact of stress and coping strategies.
How you can help: Stop by Sweet Reasons in Central Park and purchase the official Pinktober Cupcake. Sweet Reasons will donate 100% of the proceeds to The Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center.
Breast cancer is a disease in which malignant (cancer) cells form in the tissues of the breast. It is considered a heterogeneous disease—differing by individual, age group, and even the kinds of cells within the tumors themselves. Obviously no woman wants to receive this diagnosis, but hearing the words “breast cancer” doesn’t always mean an end. It can be the beginning of learning how to fight, getting the facts, and finding hope.
Women in the United States get breast cancer more than any other type of cancer except for skin cancer. It is second only to lung cancer as a cause of cancer death in women.
Each year it is estimated that nearly 200,000 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer and more than 40,000 will die. Approximately 1,700 men will also be diagnosed with breast cancer and 450 will die each year. The evaluation of men with breast masses is similar to that in women, including mammography. For more information, try these sites:
- Avon Breast Cancer Crusade
- The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
- Breast Cancer Information
- National Alliance of Breast Cancer Organizations
Breast Cancer Awareness Month is powered by Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center.